Monday, June 7, 2010

Avatar changed my life... again.

So I just saw avatar...

Hollywood as it was... it really wrapped me up in the plight of the navi' and the beautiful world they inhabit. And of course this connected in my heart with the devastation we're seeing on our own planet and the horrible mindset that is sometimes behind it.

I don't know if it's silly or stupid or sad or great or what -- but I hadn't ever cried for our planet before... That night after watching HomeTree fall, I cried... just a bit... I was mostly thinking of the ongoing oil leak, but it's just a symbol, as hometree was. It's everywhere.

I suppose something about having it all at once in that story and having it dramatized somehow made it more real than the real story that we hear about all the time. I wonder if this is yet another effect of being raised by movies and TV. ... But it could just be the slow boil/frog in the pot thing --> you know, just a bit here and bit there, suddenly the pot is boiling and we haven't noticed any changes big enough to alarm us. Even the big leak is almost like, "Big fucking surprise. It's just another catastrophic disaster at the hands of greed and laziness." ... But in this film we got to go from Eden to hell with demons in just over a couple of hours.

The picture below is actually of me after the film... scared, confused, angry, devastated. That's Kate behind me there.



And I think that that emotional connection I found after the movie, with the real world as I understand it is sticking around a bit. I can still feel some aftershocks as I write about it here. Maybe it's like a muscle, the more you use it the stronger it gets.

And I say that the film "changed me... again" because I every once in a while I have a quick, nay punctuated, and deep connection with a thing (person, book, film etc.) and it sends me off in a different direction or more forcefully in an old/same direction. And this film made me remember again, not that I had really forgotten entirely, that what I want is to be an animal in a great and beautiful community of animals. I want to have my place and have close friends and neibours and allies in the non-human world. I don't like feeling like an awkward visitor on my own planet; it seems disrespectful or at least ignorant of the beauty we have.

you get the point. See the film. even if you think its stupid.

ps. in case you're wondering why I'm posting twice in one day... I'm at my mom's and the internet is at my fingertips.. not down the road and around the corner between 9 and 9 for 15 minutes at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment