Monday, June 7, 2010

Soccer doesn't need you, but you need soccer.

So, one of the best joyous parts of my life right now is soccer. It is so amazing to run one's balls off chasing someone or getting into just the spot as the perfect pass comes sailing in. I play twice a week religiously.

I mean religiously in a partly literal way. It is a sort of worship of the human body, talent, coordination, and spirit of play. I am blown away by what my ankles will tolerate, how much I can run, and how inspired I am by those I play with.

This past weekend, a bunch of us from our little island went to Comox for a tournament. There were five teams, played against all of them on saturday and walked away undefeated. Sunday was semi finals and finals.

We went to the finals against a very good team from Victoria. We were up 2-0 at half-time, but they came back and scored their tieing goal in the last play of the game. We lost in a shoot out. It was a great game and we all had a fabulous time. I am proud to have scored one of our goals in the final.

Please enjoy the video of me scoring in the semi-final game. Thanks to Sherry for a perfect set-up pass.

I don't know if I could ever leave the sport, and consequently I don't know if I could ever leave my home on this little island.

No comments:

Post a Comment